Wednesday, September 7, 2016

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

I want to rate the movie, but there's no good rating scale. Its not enough to just say how much I liked it, but also whether or not its worth seeing. It is worth seeing, but it is also good. This rating scale, or scales, needs work.

J.J. Abrams, like his idol/mentor/whatever-you-call-it Spielberg, is now a name brand unto himself. That's probably been the case for years and I'm late to the party, but I'm understanding this now. Whether you like his work or not, you're getting a certain quality level, and some values, and you know that going in.
[edit 2016.09.22 Abrams produced, but others wrote and directed]

The movie keeps feels like its going to go too long, but it doesn't. Your patience is rewarded with plot advances great and small.

I remember the initial hype, thinking who needs a Cloverfield sequel, or a one-room play, but I kept hearing good things from various sources. I'm glad I avoided spoilers. If you haven't seen it, and are going to, go see it and come back. OK?

Spoilers.

I like how the movie commits. As we approach the end, I'm ready for some bullshit non-commitment level, where we never get to find out who was right, and whether it was safe to go topside or not.

Sometimes you want that ambiguity, that mystery, because that's art. And sometimes you just want someone to draw a line in the dirt and say I'm on this side of the line, and I'm fighting to the death over it. I am most impressed that this movie commits to one actual story at the end, and not only that, it goes all the way. Whatever most of the movie is, the ending is all Aliens. Our hero is not only in control at the end, she actively seeks the fight. Humanity is already gaining ground, and you know she's going to help turn the tide. Its quite a nice positive message to roll credits on.

I watched all the featurettes. I can't believe how much work goes into movies like this. Its like a moon mission. They're clearly proud of their work, and they deserve to be. The net effect is curiously humbling. There are so many talents and disciplines giving their all, and they all know they are but part of the whole. A good piece of art should stand for itself, letting you know all about its authors. Yet the featurettes about the effects, music, editing, etc. do communicate a little extra dimensionality to the art, and that's worth hearing too.