Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Dark season 1 (2017) & season 2 (2019)

2019.06.25
Started watching last night. This is the best dubbing job I've ever seen in my life (or are German and English just that similar?).

* spoilers *

First impressions are True Detective (creepy and possibly supernatural overtones, especially in the titles), Stranger Things (kids getting together to solve a mystery, kids can get lost and hurt), Lost (something behind a metal door, mysterious engine driving everything, time travel shenanigans).

I got as far as kid goes back to the past, and its a nice twist on time travel, as this kid is not old enough to have seen a lot of time travel stories (which essentially teach you what to do and not to do when you find yourself suddenly time travelling).

I can't tell yet if this story wants to be sci-fi or fantasy, but its heading for fantasy. There are way too many characters introduced way too quickly but I'm getting over it.

So far so good, will continue.

2019.06.26
According to Netflix I watched more episodes, but I think I was drifting in and out of sleep. Go back to 1986 episode. At least this show is not precious about the time travel, they have a very convenient montage of actors past and present playing the same characters. Its still not enough help to keep track of all these characters and subplots. It kind of feels like Lost with way too big a cast, but at least there they gave the stories some space to breathe, and always let you know who the main focus characters are.

I read the wiki summaries for the first 3 episodes, and every 4 words introduces a new character and relationship. I'd love to see the crazy 4D string and pin corkboard for this matrix. There probably is one, but I will avoid spoilers.

Giving it more time.

2019.07.12
Just finished watching Season 2.

* all the spoilers *

I should have seen it coming. Of course by the end you finally know who all the characters are, you know all the time loops, you've finally figure it out - and at the last minute they throw in a new dimension, with an all new character and technology. Of course that's how you end a story like this.

Is there going to be a third season? Not sure if its needed, but it could work. Two years between seasons, that's quite a wait. But what is time anyway.

2020.06.24
Almost one year later...

and I have rewatched.

And season three comes out exactly as was easter-egged in the show... on Juni 27. This Saturday.

I am so hopeful. We'll see.