Friday, January 31, 2020

Star Trek Picard season 1 ()

2020.01.31
Saw first episode free on YouTube.

2020.02~
subscribed to CBS to keep watching.

2020.03.10
Watched through ~5.

If this wasn't set in the Star Trek universe, it would just be a great sci-fi show. Because its Star Trek, you have to evaluate it against the decades and hundreds of episodes and movies that have gone before. So it only makes sense that's it different, and it may work better or worse in some ways.
Its definitely not like stand-alone morality tales of old but, like most shows today, a long movie in episode form. The writing is more modern, sometimes too modern. I like the darker edgier Trek of Deep Space Nine, but it was still recognizably Star Trek. This has strayed rather far. Too soon to say more.
For now, its good enough to keep watching.

2020.03.23
Saw penultimate episode last night. It's starting to get interesting, its starting to go somewhere, and you feel a little cheated that they wasted most of the season getting here.
Let's see where this lands.

2020.03.29
Saw last episode the other day.
That seemed to end rather quickly and neatly. And forgettably.
It continued the arc of being not really Star Trek, and maybe OK sci-fi. I don't regret watching it, but I'm not left with much.
If there's a season two I'll probably watch it but they could just leave it and that would be fine.
Currently working through the RedLetterMedia re:View's of this.

2020.05.19
The RedLetterMedia reviews really helped open my eyes to just how bad this show was. I was giving it a pass - because it was based on Star Trek TNG - that it wasn't earning. I like how they drilled way down into it, hour after hour, because they really do care. I know its not cool to care this much about a TV show, but if you can make anything a topic of study, Star Trek is worth more exploration than most shows.
I think I've spent as many hours watching RLM talk about Star Trek Picard as I've seen of the show, and most of the time RLM was better. RLM pointed out so many lost opportunities that I started to feel cheated in ways I didn't when watching the series. For a while I was thinking further about all of the good things they could have done and didn't, but it faded while waiting for the final RLM episode on the matter. And now its finally on YouTube.

Halfway through. Very efficient deconstruction. Takes out any and all rose colored tint you may have left in your vision of this show.